Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Lag in photos . . .

Sawatdii!!

Sorry there has been such a lag in the posting of photos! I worked really hard on a long post, and I couldn't read what I was pressing (because it was in Thai) and I must have pressed "delete"! Oops!

Today was my first day in the Thai school. I am drained! It is so hard to listen to people speak Thai all day long because your brain is working extra hard to understand body language and other cues. Ana (my roommate!) and I are already tired of Thai language! (And we have a long way to go!)

The food has been okay. I have indigestion right now, but I think that's because I ate some chicken that wasn't so good. :oP

Our professor told us that we would be craving American food after a couple of weeks, but I already am! The food is so weird here! People eat rice with a whole fish on top of it for breakfast! (And weirder stuff!) What happened to a nice bowl of cereal???

I have also been suffering from caffeine withdrawl (sp? I'm exhausted), but I had my first Thai Coke at dinner tonight! I can't wait to post the pictures! (Anders, you were right that they have Coke Light here, not Diet Coke . . . but there's hardly any Coke Light around!)

The mosquitos have been getting me!!! Eeek! I have like 50 mosquito bites all over--they love me! I am going to wear bug spray, long sleeves, long pants, and socks to bed tonight. Thank goodness we have AC, or it would be impossible for me to sleep!

I miss the United States! In the town where I am staying, the Thai people haven't seen very many Americans. Wherever I go people point and stare at me. It is a strange feeling! Many Thai people have told me that they love my beautiful white skin. I just say "Khawp khun kha" (Thank you). My Thai is improving!!

I MISS YOU ALL!!!!

p.s. My email doesn't work :(
p.p.s. I have a flush toilet in my dorm!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not enough Coke Light? This is a true emergency! Do you want me to send an overnight 24 pack? I'll do it.

I was having caffeine withdrawal and I had one this morning!

Well, I should really get back to work now.... or not.

I saw Colin and Tammy yesterday. I showed them how to get to the bookstore. I think I just got Colin more lost than he already was though. OOPS. Us Swenson sisters are NOT good with directions.

Special K said...

I totally empathize with your cereal withdrawl! I love bread and all, but seriously, I think I'm going to eat cereal for every meal of the day for at least a week! And is the coke light there 50% more expensive than the regular coke? It is here, because it's so rare, so I usually opt for the cheaper option, if any at all. Good luck on the foods!